Thursday, September 15, 2011

Our homeschooling adventure for the day

So I've decided to pose here again. It's not that I stopped but I just ran out of time. Anyways, in case you can't tell by the title, we are homeschooling. We have been for a while but since j is "starting first grade" I thought I could share what we do in the hopes of helping another homeschooling family. I'm in a small (and wonderful) hs group and we meet every thursday morning. We have decided to do monthly themes and this month is "the county fair". I taught today and decided to talk about quilts. I have to admit that I wasn't too excited about it bus as usually, the more I get into it, the more I really get into it. There is so much you can talk about with the fair. We started with talking about the history a bit then we read a WOnderful book called "the elephant quilt". The story is about a family making their way from Missouri to la in a covered wagon. As they go, they record their history in a quilt.
After that, I had each of the kids make their own quilt square out of precut paper. I just had them tape or glue the pieces down but the kids did awesome!!! After we were all done, we tape it together to form a big "quilt". Below is a picture. I'm actually really excited about next weeks lesson. I'm not "teaching" so we will just have to see what d and r have planned. :)
In love and light,
S

No comments: